Friday, December 25, 2009
Saturday, December 12, 2009
Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Saturday, November 28, 2009
- COUPONS!!! Thanks to being a VIP at Chelsea Premium Outlets
- Workout gear from Lululemon (the lowest prices I've seen so far!)
- Renewing my love for cardigans at JCrew
- Longchamp (another unbeatable deal!)
- Juicy Couture & Betsey Johnson trinkets
- And finally, an awesome, early Christmas gift courtesy of Dad from Burberry :)
- Skipping several stores because of the long lines, including Coach, Prada, Banana Republic, UGG (the UGG line was INSANE!!! guess those boots are still very much in demand..)
- Trying on 2 gorgeous Emilio Pucci dresses realising I cannot afford either even at outlet pricing
- Looking old in DVF
- No size @ Nine West!
- Disappointing selection at Neiman Marcus Last Call & Saks Off Fifth
- Not going back to Barneys to get a Marc Jacobs knit motorcycle jacket :(
- Never ever being able to go to every store you want to in Woodbury Common...
Friday, November 13, 2009
- Online shopping way too much - Urban Outfitters has amazing sales and I picked up goodies for my apartment to prepare for the arrival of my Dad this US Thanksgiving and of course a cute dress I've been eyeing for myself @ a reduced price of $29.99! SCORE!
- Frantically packing my apartment for Dad's visit
- Reading a couple of books, one of which is a Korean language book in preparation for my vacation to Seoul (Thanks to HSBC where I redeemed points to get Amazon.com gift certificates!)
- Preparing a Black Friday list for Woodbury Common -Potential Burberry trench in my future perhaps?
- Cooking: Namely a pretty good beginner Bak Kut Teh, Soy Sauced Chicken Stew, Creamed Spinach...etc.
- Making my Christmas lists
- Working out 3 times a week! Woohoo!! With the exception of this week because I forgot to bring my gear today. I spin, I kickbox, I pilates & now, I ZUMBA! :D YAY! Note to self: Get thee to a spin class/kickboxing class this weekend!
- Bonding with my guinea pig: letting Willi run wild around my living room - floor time is her favourite thing especially being cooped up in the cage all day. She loves sitting under the ottoman or behind the sofa. Also when I insist, she snuggles in her Etsy cuddle cup and occasionally gets to hang out in my bedroom on the window sill bench.
- Missing the boy - who's far and away in Beijing & counting the days till we're reunited again! 1 MORE MONTH!!! YAY!
Monday, November 2, 2009
Sunday, November 1, 2009
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Friday, October 16, 2009
Monday, October 5, 2009
Thursday, October 1, 2009
Monday, September 28, 2009
But I did come up with some money saving tips that I thought I might share with everyone, so here goes:
- Find inventive ways to style your hair - curl it, mimic a salon blowout. Whatever it is, styling your do refreshes it & buys you time before your next trim. So dust-off those curling irons and wake up a little earlier & put some effort into it. People notice, trust me.
- Save on color cosmetics - especially the trendy stuff. Eyeshadows and lipsticks in experimental colors for the season don't have to be expensive. Drugstore brands will do just fine and if you're worried about the colors not being pigmented enough, just make sure you use an eyeshadow base/primer.
- Always be on the lookout for good sales/deals - Old Navy has fantastic deals on basic tshirts and tank tops. Forever 21 and H&M are my go-tos for current trends. Uniqlo is awesome for affordable basics too. Being in NY, we have sample sales galore - so hit them up and stock up on the classics.
- When shopping online - ALWAYS look for coupon codes. You never know when you can get an extra 15% off or free shipping.
- Buy handmade - I've found great items for very affordable prices from Etsy.com These are up and coming designers trying to make a small living from their crafty hobbies.
- Buy refill packs of shampoo/body wash etc instead of new bottles. You will often save a few dollars by reusing your old containers.
- If you have small pets like I do, like hamsters or guinea pigs - recycle things around your home for them to play in or use instead of buying feeders or bowls from stores. An old tissue box, toilet rolls and paperbags make fun toys, makeshift feeders & hideouts for them.
- Jojoba oil is a great multi-purpose product! Use it to treat split ends or as a hair treatment. It can also be used as a makeup remover (since it leaves no residue) and foot & hand treatment for dry skin & cuticles!
- Invest in neutral nail polish to save you trips to the manicurist. Neutral colors last longer and chips are less obvious and they're easier to paint on.
- Reinforce the soles and heels of your new or current shoes to make them last a lot longer and always consult a cobbler before throwing away a pair of old shoes/boots to see if it can be salvaged.
- Pack your own lunch to work!
- Drink your own homemade coffee or tea rather than ringing it up at Starbucks while on the way to work
- Make use of a water filter rather than bottled water or if you are the bottled mineral water drinker - look out for deals. The other day at Rite Aid, I saw Smart Water on sale for 5 for $5!
- Don't ever be shy when asking for samples. This gives you the opportunity to try new products without paying full price.
- Make use of drugstore coupons and weekly deals they have. Often, essentials are featured like toothpaste or toilet paper and even cosmetics are sometimes buy one get one free!
- Subscribe to magazines - its MUCH cheaper!
- Never be afraid to look for cheaper alternatives online. Especially if you know what you're looking for. I found my Hot Tools curling iron for more than 40% off online than if I bought it at a beauty supply store. My vacuum was also at least 50% off too. Amazon has books which are sold used but really are in quite good condition and you save anywhere from 30%-70% off the retail price. This doesn't exclude designer/branded items too, my gf got awesome deals at Yoox.com - she paid $70 for a pair Giorgio Armani flats and $60 for a Marni skirt!
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Monday, September 21, 2009
Friday, September 18, 2009
Friday, September 11, 2009
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
I know she must be laughing at me right about now :P
Monday, August 31, 2009
Meet my new roomie: Willi, an Abyssinian guinea pig. He's a gift from Jordan to keep me company while he's away. We adopted him from a Columbia med student who named him after Prader-Willi Syndrome. He's slowly but surely getting used to his new home and me. He loves wheatgrass and tons of veggies and Timothy hay. He loves cuddles too but still get nervous every now and then. I look forward to lotsa bonding time! :) *wheek*
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Thursday, August 27, 2009
As a result, I've been rendered completely unproductive at work. *GRIN*
THANK YOU my love!!!
Monday, August 10, 2009
Wednesday, August 5, 2009
Saturday, July 25, 2009
Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Saturday, July 11, 2009
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Saturday, June 13, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Thankfully, stores open late in Manhattan, even on weekdays and there's always the internet. Recently, I made several big purchases online because I simply didn't have the time to buy it in-store. Having moved into a bigger, better space - I needed a 2nd air conditioner and, much to my father's insistence - a bigger tv. So I bought them online via Amazon.com and Bestbuy.com respectively and am awaiting their deliveries this week. Whilst perusing Amazon.com, I also invested in a small safe and found some great photo frames for cheap! Click add to cart and I was ready to checkout :D How easy!
I am still in need of a sofa and unfortunately, IKEA doesn't let you buy sofas online. However, upon looking at my fairly empty apartment, I feel inspired to make sure this cosy abode will make my mother proud. Hence, I spent a great deal of last night in bed browsing www.apartmenttherapy.com and getting plenty of good ideas for small spaces and decluttering tactics. Clutter seems to be my biggest problem as my dad pointed out to me this weekend. I must somehow overcome it.
So, off to IKEA I go this weekend, as well as other cool websites and thrift stores with eclectic housewares. I intend to do all of this on a decent budget and come out with a fabulously decorated apartment. And then, photos will follow to document my interior decorating work-in-progress project :)
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Thursday, May 21, 2009
...And I get to kiss you baby just because I can. Whatever comes our way, ah we'll see it through, And you know that's what our love can do.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Sunday, May 3, 2009
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Sunday, April 26, 2009
im a rubber duckie
Originally uploaded by rizalgeo
So over the weekend when J arrived, my shower decided to die on me. For some reason, it won't divert the water from the spout to the shower head and so we end up bathing old school style with a pail.
Hahahaha!! Its been a long time since I sat down in the shower with a pail to wash my hair and it sure brought back some old memories! :D Hope you had fun too babe! I promise it'll be fixed next week when you come over :p
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Monday, April 20, 2009
Friday, April 17, 2009
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
It was only a matter of time when this eclectic chain would come to Canada. Its urban sister, Urban Outfitters has already entered the malls and streets of Canada and I'm pleased to hear that Anthropologie will open its doors in Toronto on April 22 at Don Mills and then in West Edmonton Mall in May and Yorkville in July. Eventually, I'm hoping to see stores in Vancouver!
Friday, April 10, 2009
I've begun my search for the next apartment again - it seems its a very New Yorker thing to do: be on the constant lookout for the next best apartment. I've decided I've outgrown my tiny shoe box pad and I'm moving onto greener pastures now that I have a job. Also in my favour, rent prices in Manhattan have come down a lot so bigger place for the same amount of money is definitely an advantage! :)
Off hunting I go! Wish me luck, I'm running outta time and still need to pack & arrange movers!! ACK!