Several times a year, in the fashion industry, usually coinciding with Fashion Week, Market takes place and today, I got to be a part of it. Market is when buyers from department stores, specialty stores and boutiques come to designers' showrooms to view merchandise and place orders. This means having models come in to wear the looks and show them off to the buyers who wish to see them, while the sales account managers sell the product.
It's a fast-paced, go-go-go environment. Clothes flying everywhere, hangers dangling on every limb possible, shoes all over the floor, half naked models who don't bat an eyelid when they go topless in front of you whilst trying to get into an evening gown. Here are some of the tid-bits I've taken away from my day at Market:
- Models eat: and its not just a handful of almonds or a leaf of lettuce. They actually eat salads with dressing, cookies, bagels with cream cheese, bananas, chips etc.
- Wolford tights rock! They resist snags, constant pulling up & down and they look great!
- Chanelesque suits are so classy and they're not just for older women.
- No model is perfect, they have stretch marks, scars and blemishes too. And employers will still feel that models are too big, too tall, too wide etc.
- WEAR FLATS! I'm glad i did.